Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whoopie, Whoopee, Whatever.


However you spell them, or whatever you call them, Whoopie Pies are an amazing concoction in the world of cookies. And I'll admit it, I actually am not a cookie fan (gasp!). I just don't find them very appealing since one cookie has about as many calories as something more "substantial" like a dessert bar, etc. And if I can eat a bigger dessert for the same amount of calories, I will eagerly chose the larger option. So due to my aversion to eating cookies, I usually don't bake them that often, unless I find some decadent creation like these pumpkin whoopie pies which I knew would fulfill my craving for fall baking!

Now, I was always under the assumption that whoopie pies and sandwich cookies were one and the same. Two cookies stuck together with some delicious filling ranging from cream cheese frosting, various jams, chocolate, peanut butter, you name it. However, I recently learned that in order for your cookie sandwich to be an official "whoopie pie", it requires a marshmallow based filling. My pumpkin whoopie pies used a kind of marshmallow frosting filling, which was amazing, but I've also seen the more traditional version from Food Network that just melts large marshmallows between the two cookies. Personally, for me, I love overly sweet desserts and think thick, creamy, sugary frosting, is divine, so frosting has my vote, but chose whatever fits your taste buds. I also think that for storage, frosting holds up better for leftovers than just plain marshmallows, which tend to taste best straight out of the oven and usually end up being a big sticky mess if you try to re-heat them or something like that. But that may just be my taste for sickening sweet desserts taking over...

No comments:

Post a Comment