Saturday, September 11, 2010

In a Kitchen far far away...


So, my husband is a huge Star Wars fan and when I saw these cookie cutters at Williams-Sonoma, I knew I had to get them! They sat in my cabinets for a little while but I decided to finally bust them out when my husband was going away for a "guy's weekend" with his best friend. I thought it would be a perfect surprise and a perfect treat for their Comi-Con weekend.

I ended up just using the cookie recipe included in the box since I was worried that other recipes would rise too much in the oven and then the decorative indentations would disappear. Just a heads up that the recipe calls for the dough to chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, so you might want to know that before you start the baking process. I did not read through the entire recipe before I began, so the cookies took a little longer than I expected. The dough is great though because not only does it taste wonderful, but it is not overly sticky and I did not have any problems getting the cookies to release from the cookie cutters.

As for the finishing touches, my best friend for years (who I consider more like my own sister), made homemade icing in a variety of colors and hand frosted each of them to bring out the cookie indentations. They looked absolutely fantastic! Since I had not planned that far ahead (I decided to make these morning of) and did not have that much time before my husband arrived home from work, I ended up melting some chocolate chips and shortening in a shallow pan and dipping the backs of each of the cookies in it. It was a great addition to the sugar cookies since you could still see all the indentations on the tops and the chocolate added some extra flavor overall. I kept my cookies in the fridge to keep the chocolate from melting since it was about 90 degrees with 90% humidity that week where I was.

Overall, my husband was extremely surprised and both he and his friend thought they tasted "out of this world"! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment