Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Infamous Bundt Cake

This bundt cake haunted me for years. Whenever my mom and I would bake together, cook, or even just talk about recipes, she would bring up this spectacular chocolate chip bundt cake that was absolutely excellent. It was torture to hear about this cake that I had never tasted before since the last time she had made it was before I was born. She had talked it up so much and so frequently, that I wrote down the recipe years ago to have on hand, just in case. This recipe was always hanging over my head. Would it be as spectacular as my mom described? What would it taste like? Would it become one of my favorite cake recipes too? Then, one day, it dawned on me. Make the cake yourself.

I had always (for some reason) been waiting for my mom to make this cake for me since it seemed to be one of her treasured desserts and she was also the only one who had ever actually made the cake before. But I was through waiting. I had a couple of days off of work and decided, this is it. I'm making the chocolate chip bundt cake. It's time. Today I find out what this cake tastes like.

So I made it. I buttered and floured my bundt pan, mixed all the ingredients into an unbelievably thick batter, baked it, and drizzled the chocolate frosting. After dinner, the time came and I cut myself a generous slice and topped it off with a dollop of whipped cream (I've noticed I've been adding additional whipped cream and other various toppings to my desserts lately...not sure why...). The cream cheese mixed into the batter keeps the cake incredibly moist and the extra little chocolate drizzle is a great finishing touch. Since the batter is so thick too, you don't have to worry about coating your chocolate chips in flour or anything like to keep them from sinking. The batter is like cement and those chocolate chips aren't going anywhere.

Overall, my first experience with the infamous chocolate chip bundt cake was a successful and delicious one. I'm not sure it's my favorite cake recipe of all time though. Don't tell my mom that.

No comments:

Post a Comment