Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Best Scotcheroo Recipe... Ever


When I was student worker in college, my boss and I were (and still are) very close. She became like my second Mom and during the time I had that job, I actually looked forward to going to work every day just so we could catch up, talk, and sometimes sneak out for breakfast or a quick coffee. She also would routinely spoil me with these absolutely scrumptious desserts ranging from caramel brownie bars, pumpkin bread, and my all time favorite, her scotcheroos. It was always a surprise when I came to work to see these goodies sitting on my desk! Even now when we get together for brunch or for the holidays, she will make a batch of her famous scotcheroos just to give me some because she knows how much I absolutely love them!

I have tried many scotcheroo recipes before and her recipe tops them all by leaps and bounds. Of course, the deliciousness would not stop there. She actually has two versions of her scotcheroos as well (what a great idea!). There's a gooey version and a crumbly version. The gooey version most closely resembles a typical "scotcheroo" bar that you might think of and the crumbly ones remind me of what is sometimes called a "Special K" or "Cornflake" bar. I thoroughly enjoy both and am not picky when it comes to eating either of them. In some of the scotcheroo recipes I have tried in the past, some have had an almost disgusting corn syrup-y flavor. Now her recipe, does not even remotely have that problem and I believe the secret to avoiding that feeling is to bring the sugar and corn syrup mixture to a boil. Don't just heat it up until it's combined like some recipes advise, actually bring it to a boil and then immediately remove it from the heat so it doesn't burn. This step is very crucial because it seems to be the key to making the whole dessert more cohesive. In addition, the ratio of chocolate topping to actual bar is also divine. It's about a 2:1 ratio; 2 parts chocolate to 1 part bar (sometimes more!). She totally believes in the saying that you can never have too much chocolate and with that type of mantra, she can make me desserts whenever she wants! So that's why I consider this scotcheroo recipe the best one I've ever had and I'm sure part of why they taste so absolutely delicious is that she's the one that's making them for me! :-)

2 comments: