Thursday, September 24, 2009

What's Fizzing?

More so than cooking, my real passion lies in baking. It's probably linked to my overall obsession with dessert, but nonetheless, given the choice, I would prefer to bake. Having said that, I have had my share of baking triumphs and disasters, but one of my most recent predicatments took me by surprise!

One of my favorite breakfast things to make is coffee cake. It's cake for breakfast, how can you not love it?! And one of my favorite recipes is a Blueberry Buckle one that has been in my family as long as I can remember. My mom used to make it for me when I came home from college and the smell of it coming out of the oven was too good to resist. Honestly, if you make this recipe, there is no way you're going to be able to wait to later to have a piece! Fresh out of the oven, hot, warm, and melt-in-your-mouth is the only way to go!

Anyway, the last time I made this recipe, I made it in the late summer when the blueberries were still in season but it was still incredibly warm and humid. The recipe goes together easily and has to bake in the oven for 35 minutes and of course, once I took it out, I immediately had a piece (burnt my mouth in process, but it was worth it). Now the recipe never says that it needs to be refrigerated and it really doesn't. I never had refrigerated it in the past, so why would I now? Unfortunately, I failed to add into account the extremely humid temperatures occurring at the moment. So I went along with my original plan, let the Blueberry Buckle cool completely, covered it, and left it on the counter.

Now, pop quiz, what happens when you have fresh berries, air tight containers, and extremely humid temperatures? That's right, instant fermentation. The next time I took the lid off to have some I heard this weird fizzing sound and could not figure out where it was coming from. That's when I noticed that it was the coffee cake that was fizzing. It still looked like Blueberry Buckle, but WHOA, it did NOT smell like it anymore! That alcohol, bitter smell filled the kitchen and sad to say, I had to dump the whole thing. Sad.

My word of advice, if you make anything with fresh berries and you're in a humid location, just be safe and refrigerate it. Unless you like that fermentation taste and alcohol smell, then my dish turned out perfect!

If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll post it. Because it really is irresistible!

No comments:

Post a Comment